Search the High Score

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

What's UP BROS. Alright, so I'm back with ANOTHER update, I'll try to keep at least one new post a day. If I get myself into rhythm I'll be just fine. So, I was up late last night, playing on the Wii. I had to mop the dust off it first, replace the batteries in the remotes and reconnect the thing to the TV. The PS3 and PC have been eating up most of my time when School isn't rolling me like a tumbleweed in a windstorm.

Alright, so here's the low down on TvsC.

Blieve this or not, it's one of the better Wii games, something I sadly think the Wii is lacking. I mean, we got major first party support for the thing but the third party games are so lack luster, that it damn near just fall apart. I guess the Gamecube was the same way, and the N64 as well. I think that trend needs to quit, but I think the core reason is cause Nintendo seems mildly anti social when it comes to grabbing 3rd Party support/exclusives.

Thankfully, this game is an exclusive and it disappoints very little. This is the first fighting game where I didn't die running through Arcade Mode on the default difficulty. Fighters in most senses of the word give you two freebies to get warmed up and the rest of the battles are an uphill struggle for everything. Dominating an opponent is any fighting game but this one takes arguably 30 to 40 hours of practice with just one character.

It did annoy me that the characters for this game are kind of stunted. I'm not going to point any fingers nor am I truly pissed because I only got to choose from 20 or so people. I just remember that the old Versus titles in the series had roughly 45 characters to play as, and it'd border on insane how many different things would be seen. My friend, whom I'll refer to at One, ordered it online and didn't recieve it today, much to his discontent. So I woke up early to give him some cheering up.

The game is a walking statement for easy to play but difficult to master. It borrows simpler controls from Smash Bros. Brawl but offers up complexity with the tag system. Each fighter is a 2 versus 2 match. Like Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and Capcom vs SNK 1, its very simplistic and flashy but the depth behind is enormous.

My favorite characters turned out to be Batsu from Rival Schools, his last appearance in project justice for the Dreamcast. The other was a left field pick of Jun the Swan from Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets/G-Force). I went all the way with the both of them, Jun being my quick strike character and Bastu being the heavy weapons guy. They work extremely well together, and I will admit that nearly everyone in this has a different style.

One thing that stands out among EVERYTHING in this game is the unique battles that take place. Fighting a 25 foot tall golden robot or a giant Mech from Lost Planet gets the adrenaline pumping. They don't flinch so hitting them with as much stuff as possible is the only true way to get them down. It reminds me of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 with the giant mech fights which always put you as the underdog no matter how you looked at it.

Versus mode is rudimentary, seems like they ripped it right out of Marvel vs Capcom 2. The real beauty is the online mode. It's smooth, even on lower quality connections. We were connected within seconds which took me by surprise. Battling it out online seems like you're fighting the best AI in the game cause you can't communicate at all. It cuts down on the smack talk of course, which really makes this nicer but still seems impersonal when you hand someone their butt.

I admit I'm glad I didn't have to use the wii motion stuff. I actually played this game with the remote on its side, two buttons for attack, B to use partner and I haven't bothered with 'A' yet. Everything is as it should be, I guess. I can fight One on equal field with him using the gamecube controller or classic controller and I can use the 'NES' style and we'll be going at it. He even admitted it wasn't a handicap.

For anyone who's just now visiting, I don't give games numbers, I truly don't believe there's any game that can be filed under a 7 or a 10 or anything like that. Numbers ruin the visual. If I gave Uncharted 2 a 5 and said it was average, people wouldn't be impressed with it. I want to make people curious by building the game up in words and examples rather than putting a number on it and walk away.

I will say that overall, this game is the next Super Smash Bros. for the Wii, something its been lacking for quiet a while. As a matter of note, I actually took out the disk I had previously left in my Wii and it turned out to be Brawl so I kind of chuckle at this comment. Still, without a doubt, if you're looking for a good time, look no further. This game gives the same kind of wackiness that one would expect from such a strange title. If you're on the edge, I'd rent out and take your pick. If you're a fighter buff or you're looking for something to go online with that doesn't involve putting up with little kids and 'tough guy' teenagers, go for it. None of them would get caught dead playing this game unless it had the Master Chief or Marcus Fenix in it.

Cheers Bros, look forward to me updating tomorrow. Working on a better banner for the Blog, probably needs it considering.

No comments: